Sunday, August 16, 2009

Self-Discipline

We were eating dinner tonight, and Marci didn't have much of an appetite. The kids were so filthy from the new swing set that we bathed them before sitting down to eat. Both she and Osten were exhausted from running around like maniacs in the backyard, and Marci was starting to get a little crabby. And she wouldn't stay in her seat. Finally, we calmly suggested that she go to her room to start her bedtime routine. I think we lost her at "go to your room," because she burst into tears and ran down the hall towards her room. Daddy and I looked at each other and couldn't help but start to giggle. She no sooner rounded the corner into her room, and we heard her door slam. We couldn't believe it! We finished dinner in about five minutes, and by then my curiosity was killing me. I went in her room to check on her and found her in her bed, the covers tucked under her arms, reading a stack of books. Talk about self-discipline! I couldn't believe my eyes. I crawled in bed with her, and lavished her with praise and lots of hugs and kisses before starting her bedtime ritual. My, oh my, our baby is really growing up.

No comments: