Saturday, November 14, 2009

The World According to Osten

So I was taking the kids to school the other morning, and Marci was just a wailing away to the high heavens in the backseat about some unfortunate circumstance or another. I was doing my best to calm her while driving the long, narrow two-lane road that leads to the kids' school, and she was having none of it. Finally, her sobs subsided, and she began demanding that I sit with her. As she jackhammered her little hand on the side of her car seat, she began repeating, "Mommy sit right here." I consistently tried to explain that I couldn't sit with her while driving us to school. When I looked in my rear view mirror at Osten, I could see that he was completely bored with the whole situation so I tried to recruit him as my ally in the battle of explaining the obvious to his little sister. He gave it some thought and then he burst out with this:

"Marci, you know Mommy has a big bottom. She CAN'T sit in your car seat!"

And that pretty much took care of that. End of discussion. The world according to Osten. It's amusing and surprisingly effective.

No comments: