Anyway, as it turned out, the other woman in the play room lives in the same part of town and has gone to their Christmas light display for the past eight years. She raved about it! Meanwhile, the kids started getting a little rowdy . . . crawling all over the nearby vacant tables . . . why do my little angels always act like such hooligans whenever I'm having a conversation with someone new??!! I swear they have a sixth sense and pick the most inopportune times to try to embarrass me. Luckily, I've developed a thick skin, but I digress . . .
So the husband of this elderly couple was a little on the long-winded side. Actually, they were both pretty chatty. Osten and Marci had heard enough talk about their light displays and they had even tired of the playground and were attempting gymnastics on the vacant tables. (Nice!) I consider myself a pretty experienced gabber, but I could not politely bring the conversation with this man to a close. As he detailed the history of their yard-decorating tradition, I was desperately trying to gather our gear while rounding up the kids and convincing them to put on their shoes when I noticed Osten over by the emergency exit with his hand on the lever. It was like slow-motion as I uttered an urgent "N-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!!!" at the same time that the high-pitched door alarm pierced the playground. Osten froze and looked at me with a totally stunned look on his face.
I scooped Osten onto my hip and grabbed his sister by the hand. We evacuated to the main part of the restaurant in search of the manager. All eyes were on us, but luckily there were way more people in the drive-thru than dining in on this particular occasion. I opted for the high road and squelched the temptation to tag one of the other kids on the playground with the blame for the fire alarm. (Sometimes being a parent is especially difficult!) We followed the manager back to the play room, where the fire alarm was still screeching incessantly, and she eventually figured out how to turn it off. The peace had only been restored for about a minute before Osten burst into tears and threw himself on the floor. (When he gets embarrassed, it's sometimes a delayed reaction!) The chatty older man kindly helped me explain to him that he wasn't in trouble, that accidents happen and all that jazz, and he finally calmed down. We eventually made a relatively quiet (by comparison) exit to our car and went home to tell Daddy all about our adventures of the evening. Somehow, I think the recounting of our BK Bonanza helped make his test preparation a little easier to swallow! (Punny!!)
No comments:
Post a Comment